September 14, 2018

Who's Taking Grandpa's Advice?

The narrator's grandfather's "curse" in Invisible Man permeates the book. It represents the shift in the narrator's personality, the "look under the surface" motif, and something to compare every character's mindset to. Here it is, in its entirety.

"Son, after I'm gone I want you to keep up the good fight. I never told you but our life is a war and i have been a traitor all my born days, a spy in the enemy's country ever since I give up my gun back in the Reconstruction. Live with your head in the lion's mouth. I want you to overcome 'em with yeses, undermine 'em with grins, agree 'em to death and destruction, let 'em swoller you tell they vomit or bust wide open. ...Learn it to the younguns"(page 16).

Most of the time the narrator has referenced this so far, he's confused. "he had spoken of his meekness as a dangerous activity" (16). He has doubts about it as a kid-- "When I was praised for my conduct I felt a guilt that in some way I was doing something that was really against the wishes of the white folks" (17). He really does want to do the right thing, but either option of the "right thing" seemed bad. So the narrator is complicated, and I'm sure character development will kick in and we'll understand better what his opinion is going to end up being. What I want to look at is how the other side characters (specifically Bledsoe and the Vet) in Invisible Man follow Grandpa's advice, and what that says.

Bledsoe is a weird one. If true rebellion is to "overcome 'em with yeses," Bledsoe's a firebrand. "I's big and black and I say 'Yes, suh" as loudly as any burrhead when it's convenient, but I'm still the king down here," he says. Isn't that, in stronger terms, what Grandpa was talking about? Say "yes" when it's convenient to gain power with white people, but believe what you believe. But Bledsoe is an antagonistic character-- why does he follow Grandpa's advice better than the narrator? Perhaps he's the example of Grandpa's advice gone too far, or the dangers of taking Grandpa's advice without humor. I think humor is a crucial difference between Grandpa's rhetoric and Bledsoe's-- Bled vents with anger and impugnment instead of laughing it off.

The vet, in comparison, doesn't follow Grandpa's advice at all! He's an influential guy on our narrator, but not once does he try to overcome anybody with yeses nor put his head anywhere near a lion's mouth. He's tried that, and it's not worth it. Those are the "fundamentals which I should never have forgotten": that black people in the south are forced to follow Grandpa's advice if they want to do anything with their lives. He chooses to not do anything with his life, and be his own person.

Maybe that's the answer: Ellison isn't saying that Grandpa's advice is 100% what everyone should always do. It depends on what you want, power or happiness. The advice leads to power, as Bledsoe attests to. It may or may not lead to happiness. That's the conclusion I hope the narrator arrives at as well.

3 comments:

  1. Nice connections between characters and I agree with what you're saying about Bledsoe following the advice for the wrong reasons. I'm not sure I agree that Ellison is saying that following the advice isn't for everybody. I believe that the vet is included as a cautionary tale to the narrator. He is someone who spoke out instead of keeping it in and look where he ended up: a mental hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I personally take the grandfather's advice, I kind of just say yes to a lot of things. Whether or not that will get me power, I can't say. Its an interesting thought and a nice comparison. Thank you for the good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo you have some great points here. I love the idea that Bledsoe takes grandfather's advice but without the "key ingredient" of laughter. This post raises the question of whose shoes you would rather fill - Bledsoe's or the vet's. It's a difficult question to answer because it's choosing between influence and happiness. It's also difficult because I, as a reader, am inclined to trust the grandfather. But the vet is also a compelling character and he doesn't follow the grandfather's advice at all!

    ReplyDelete