August 30, 2018

I'm A Mary

...and I don't know how to feel about it.

On the one hand, Marys are good! Better than Mr. Daltons, or especially Brittens or Buckleys, right? (That is, better to be a radical who wants equality than to 1) give to the black community nominally and/or hypocritically or 2) actively be racist, discriminatory, and against black "progress" (Invisible Man has made me rethink the meaning of that word))

However, being a Mary, at least to a Bigger, is clearly not the safest course of action. Her willingness to sit in the front seat as an equal, or ask him about his life, or let him carry her like a drunken, potentially incriminating ragdoll, all have the opposite of their intended effect. Mary makes Bigger uncomfortable in a deep sense, and her defiance of societal norms is not refreshing to him but a jarring what the hell are you doing sort of social limbo. It's that exact unidentifiable hate that makes Bigger come to terms a little easier with her death, and also go from "accidental death" to "murder" as fast as he does.

Some of my Mary-like impulses (from, among other things, growing up a privileged, white liberal woman in a moderately wealthy family) made me frustrated with Bigger as a character. "He can't see the good in anybody!" I wrote furiously in my notes. "I hate that about him!" The naturalist point of the novel is that I shouldn't hate Bigger for that-- I should hate the circumstances that brought that hate about: the institutionalized racism in housing, jobs, movies, and all the other things Bigger has been affected and afflicted by his whole life. Mary (and Marys like her) are just cut off from those things and just don't see them. As Bigger says, they're "blind."

I have a complicated relationship with Mary. I believe that in general, she's a good person. I imagine she gets along quite well with white people speaking the way she does, and with certain African-Americans willing to entertain her nonsense long enough to see that she really is trying to be nice. She's sort of like Effie Trinket, if you've ever read The Hunger Games. (That's the prissy, airheaded representative from the rich, dominating Capitol whose job is to lead the two main characters to a televised battle to the death.) She's insufferable at first, but given enough time to understand the gravity of the situation that she's never had to face, she becomes a little more sympathetic a few books into the series.

The obvious next step is thinking about how not to be a Mary, if/since being a Mary is that undesirable. (There's a perpetuation here that Leslie informed me of: In my worry to not be a Mary I'm becoming...more of a Mary. Sigh.) Since I've never dealt with Marys as a black person, I might look at the analogy of Effie. In the Hunger Games, there's really no good way you'd want anyone to treat you when they're leading you to the slaughter. Sympathy seems forced and stark optimism is just repulsive. Ignorance would be alienating, but at least you would know what to do with her.

I really have no good way to resolve this question. Partly it's not my question to answer, and partly everyone likes to be treated differently. Maybe someone would enjoy being around Mary. Maybe the narrator from Invisible Man (as he is in the first few chapters) might admire her. It's the difference between the Booker T Washingtons and the DuBoises of the world, the MLKS and the Malcolm X's: Is a white person's respect worth having? Is collaboration the key, or separatism?

I would love to be refuted in the comments. This is an issue I am far from authoritative on, and I would hate to be a Mary.

6 comments:

  1. Hey whats up, Leslie here! I LOVED your blog post! It really speaks to me on an emotional level and I've never really thought about the subject before! Thanks for sharing, i love love love love IT <3! I feel like being a Mary ISN'T a BAAAAAD thing~! You're like really happy, like alllllll the tiiiiiimeeeee, even when people don't want that happiness. Being a Mary means you talk to people even when they want to honest god want to left aloooonnneeeee uwu. Its like totally totally adorrrrbsss.
    This is what being around a Mary feels like, superficial, like talking to a Disney character that isn't aware that they're a Disney character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may write a blog post in response to this post btw. Also stay golden, there is worse out there than being a Mary. Love you.

      Delete
  2. Oh Betsy. I agree with you that Mary is a pretty good person at her core, wholeheartedly. It's really unfortunate that she makes Bigger so personally uncomfortable because if she had been more mindful of how she interacted with him they maybe (??) could have been friends and that would have been nice. But because she was so self-absorbed, she just alienated him. I think the danger in sympathizing with her comes when one doesn't afford Bigger that same benefit, and condemn him for his non-receptiveness to Mary's lighthearted manner with him. Also, I don't think you're really a Mary, Bets. I definitely know some, and the difference is that they don't listen, or pay attention to their friends when they discuss the social issues affecting them. You probably don't like having feminist issues (that you understand) explained to you by men-- it's a pretty similar thing with black people (in my personal experience). As long as you're listening, I really think it's hard to do too much harm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing about Mary is that even if she is well meaning, it's not enough. Because the net effect of her actions is very negative, and ultimately kills not one, but two people. And it isn't as if she's completely innocent; her patronizing manner was annoying throughout the first book for me to read. Because we all know people who are well meaning but insufferable to deal with. I don't want to be too harsh on Mary though, because intention is still important; I shouldn't ignore it. But when she effectively ends the life of both her and Bessie, it doesn't sit well with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some high quality insights about the way you interact with the world. Especially because we've spent time in class bashing Mary, I appreciate your bravery in "coming out" as a Mary, if you will. I also appreciate your openness to criticism and second opinions. Lastly, I really like your analogy to Effie, which I'm totally on board with. I actually think these things make you less like Mary. You're more aware of where you stand and actively want to be wary of how you make others feel. And even if you don't believe me, reading "Native Son" is a step in the right direction, right? You're doing what Mary didn't, which is "seeing" things about the black community that she was blind to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Mr. Mitchell mentioned something about how Mary is part of the intended audience for the book-- she's the type that (or real people like her) would read it, be horrified, and want to change. In that sense, books like this are protest novels of Maryish behavior, and actually do provide a way to change it, despite what Baldwin says.

      Delete